Now I know the name of this dish doesn’t inspire confidence because it’s quite a run-of-the-mill name, but believe me, the flavors of this dish will speak for itself. Simple, delicious and comforting, it’s a perfect weekday dish since it’s easy to prepare and yet so satisfying, especially with rice!
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the Chicken:
500 g chicken breast fillets
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, sliced thinly
2 stalks leeks, sliced thinly, white and green parts separated
For the sauce:
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
salt, sugar and pepper to taste
- In a pot, add in white part of the leeks and the thinly sliced ginger. Fill up the pot 34 of the way with water. Bring to a boil and let boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken fillets and turn down the heat to a low simmer. Let the chicken fillets cook for 7 minutes and then shut off the heat and leave the chicken for 5 minutes more.
- Shred the chicken fillets into serving size portions and place in a shallow serving bowl.
- To create the sauce, combine the soy sauce, minced ginger and water in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add in the green parts of the leek (you can save some for garnish) and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and sugar if desired.
- Pour sauce over the chicken pieces and garnish with remaining leeks.