Sometimes, you just need fried pork, right? I mean, what other reason is there than to eat fried pork? Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Ingredients (serves 6)
1 kg pork belly (cut country style, about 3/4 to 1 inch thick)
1 tbsp 5 spice powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1-2 pcs star anise
4 ripe tomatoes, sliced into strips
1 large onion, sliced into thin strips
2 tbsps bagoong
vegetable oil for frying
- Season a pot of boiling water with star anise, chili powder and 5 spice powder. Add in the pork and boil for 1 hour.
- Place the tenderized pork on a sheet tray and let dry for 1-2 hours.
- In a deep fryer or large pot, add in enough oil to form a pool at least 3 inches deep.
- Fry the pork pieces until crisp, about 7-9 minutes. Let it rest on a cooling rack for 2 minutes.
- In abowl, combine tomatoes. onions and bagoong to make the KBL.
- Slice the pork into bite sized pieces and serve with the KBL.