Who doesn’t love ube by now? Well if you’ve got ube halaya (jam) lying around, this is a great midnight snack or even breakfast choice. If the macapuno is too sweet an item, you can replace with a salty cheese like cheddar and it completely changes the dish but it will still be as good. Jackfruit is a great replacement for macapuno as well.
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
4 slices whole wheat sandwich bread
1 large egg
1 cup of milk
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cinammon
4 tbsps halayang ube
2 tbsps sweetened macapuno
2 tbsps vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
- In a bowl, mix together egg, milk, cinammon and nutmeg. Dip the bread slices in for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat up a saute pan with butter and oil. Cook the bread slices until golden. Place on a cooling rack to cool a bit.
- Spread the halayang ube onto each slice of bread and assemble the sandwiches. Spread the macapuno on top of the two slices sandwiches.
- Season the macapuno with some sea salt.
- Slice the sandwiches into two and serve warm.