I originally wanted to cook crabs in Camiguin but the dampa didn’t have any fresh ones available. I turned to my favorite seafood and it all turned out well. Of course, crabs would still work well here. Fish, clams and other seafood would be great too!
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 large squid, cut into strips
1 nob of ginger, sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup black bean sauce
1 bunch green onions
1/2 cup mirin or rice wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsps cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsps water
1 sili labuyo (optional)
1 tsp sesame oil
4 tbsps cooking oil
1. In a wok, saute garlic, ginger and white parts of green onions. Toss for 1 minute.
2. Add in black beans and saute for 1 minute. Then pour in soy sauce and wine.Labuyo may be added here. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
3. Add in the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
4. Season squid with salt and pepper. In a wok with very hot oil, fry the squid for two minutes. Add in the black bean sauce and mix well. Add in sesame oil.
5. Garnish with the green parts of the green onion.