Wanting to impress Julie Anne San Jose, I turned to one of my family’s favorites. Each of the ingredients in the cabbage rolls can be substituted, just keep in mind to ave a nice mix of seafood or meat plus vegetables. You can also use napa cabbage leaves instead of white cabbage leaves if desired.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the rolls:
6-8 large whole leaves of white cabbage
6 squid balls, each cut into 8 small pieces
12-16 pcs small scallops or shrimps
1 can of young corn, cut into small pieces
1 can of button mushrooms, quartered
salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce:
1/3 cup oyster sauce
1’2 cup water
1 tbsps sugar (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the scallops, squid balls, mushrooms and young corn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the cabbage leaves in a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes, until the leaves are soft. Place directly into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Fill up each cabbage leave with the seafood and vegetable mixture, careful not to over stuff.
- Steam the cabbage rolls for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pot, combine the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve the cabbage rolls with the sauce poured on top.