The one thing I always get when I go to an American style steakhouse, apart from the steak of course, is creamed spinach. It’s rich, delicious and goes perfectly with steak. It’s a great excuse to eat vegetables! The best part? You can use a number of local greens like kang kong, chili leaves, or even sweet potato leaves.
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 strips smoked or cured bacon, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsps onion, minced
1 tbsp all purpose flour
500 ml milk
2 big bunches (about 4 handfuls) of greens like kang kong, spinach or chili leaves
salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan, saute bacon in olive oil over medium heat until slightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Add in onions and garlic and cook until fragrant, another 2 minutes.
- Add in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the milk and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the sauce is slightly thicker.
- Add in the greens and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve as a side with steak or grilled items.