Cooking for fiery Coach Bo Perasol of the UP Men’s Basketball Team meant I wanted to cook something that represented him best, so I decided on a well-balanced, spicy and complete meal. The best part about this meal? You can make it in one pot, so clean up is a breeze and coach won’t yell at you for taking so long.
Ingredients (serves 4)
3 links chorizo macau
400 g chicken breast fillets, cut into thin strips
6 shitake mushrooms, sliced thinly and stems removed
2 cups uncooked Japanese rice
3 tbsps Chinese chili and garlic sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 cups water
2 tbsps vegetable oil
4 stalks of bokchoy, sliced in half lengthwise
salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, saute the chorizo in the vegetable oil over medium to low heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add in mushrooms and chicken breast. Season with salt and pepper.
- After 1 minute, add in the chili garlic sauce. Cook for 1 more minute.
- Pour in the rice and the soy sauce. Stir everything well and then pour in the water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- At the 15 minute mark, add in the bokchoy, cover the pot again and steam for 2 more minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
- Serve the rice immediately