This appetizer is perfect to start a meal that would feature a heavy main course. Katmon is not easy to find, but you can use Kamias or even Tamarind to get the sour liquid you need. Shrimps can easily be replaced with crab meat, squid or even fish.
Ingredients (serves 4)
16-20 shrimps, steamed then shelled
1 large bell pepper, chopped
1 mango, sliced thinly
2 katmon, skin removed
1 lime or 2 calamansi
1 bunch sweet potato leaves (talbos ng kamote)
coriander leaves for garnish
1/4 cup olive oil
salt, sugar, pepper and chili flakes to taste
1. In a saute pan, saute the bell peppers and sweet potato leaves for 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. In a pot, boil the katmon in 1/4 cup of water to get a sour liquid, about 4 tbsps.
3. In a bowl, combine katmon and lime juice. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Whisk in remaining olive oil to form a dressing.
4. Combine crab meat and vegetables into the dressing and season with chili flakes and salt if desired.
5. Serve the salad cold with the sliced mango as garnish