There’s Satay almost everywhere in Malaysia when I was there and I love them so much I usually devour 10 to 20 sticks in one sitting. While I love the flavors, I wanted to make my version lighter, a little more fresh and healthful. I think with this version, you get more textures and fresh vegetables to balance the dish out.
Ingredients (serves 4)
400 g chicken breast, cut into cubes
125 ml plain yoghurt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 cucumber, seeded and sliced thin
1/4 cup local vinegar
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 head romain lettuce
1 cup cooked white rice
2 tbsps vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the chicken breast with yoghurt, paprika, chili powder and cumin for 15-30 minutes.
- To prepare the dressing, combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, and chili powder. Add enough water to make it into a sauce consistency.
- Marinate the cucumber in the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers and season with salt. Grill over medium heat until fully cooked.
- To serve, fill each lettuce leaf with a little rice, chicken meat, cucumbers and dressing.