This is a great dessert for cocktail parties where it can be passed around. Otap cookies are one of my favorite Filipino cookies, but if you can’t find them, other crisp, sweet cookies can work, even small chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies!
Ingredients (serves 4)
12 pcs Otap cookies
1 saba cut into 12 disks
250 ml whole milk
2 egg yolks
50 g sugar
25 g sifted flour
A few drops of Banana extract
1 tablea tablet
2 tbsps vegetable oil
- Bring milk and banana extract to a boil. In a bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar and flour.
- Pour the boiled milk slowly into the egg mixture, mixing quickly to make sure eggs don’t cook.
- Pour the combined milk and egg mixture back onto the pot and cook over low heat, mixing continually. Once the cream is thick, remove from the heat. Let cool.
- In a pan, cook saba disks on each side until golden.
- Using a piping bag or teaspoon, place some pastry cream over the flat part of each otap cookie. Top with saba disk and then grate chocolate tablea over the top.