I cooked for my friend who had hosted me while in Penang and I thought he would love something not so traditional. Inspired by the Laksa I had in Singapore, I tried my best to create a broth as close to the traditional laksa as possible and then make it a sauce for mac and cheese. Macaroni or Penne would work great with this recipe and of course, your choice of cheese as well.
Ingredients (serves 4)
250 g suahe shrimp, peeled, skins set aside
1 kg clams, washed
1/2 cup dried small shrimp (hibe)
1/2 cup chili paste
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
250 g macaroni
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tbsps oil
salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, saute the small shrimp, clams and shrimp shells in oil. Pour in 1 cup of water and cover to cook clams.
- Remove the clams once opened. Remove clam meat and set aside.
- In the broth, add in the coconut milk and chili paste. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 6-7 minutes. Add in the shrimp at the final minute.
- Strain the broth. Combine the cooked pasta shrimp, clam meat, the broth and the cheddar and parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Place the pasta in a baking dish and top with mozzarella and broil until cheese is golden brown.