Musubi is a Hawaiian favorite that I’m surprised more Pinoys haven’t adopted it yet. You can even play around and use mountain or brown rice to make things more interesting. You can also make things spicy by adding cayenner or chili oil to the mayo.
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 slices Spam
4 tbsps muscovado sugar
1 cup cooked Japanese rice, kept warm
1/2 cup Japanese mayo
1 Nori sheet
- Cut one nori sheet in half. Cut one half sheet into 2 and set aside. Cut the remaining nori sheets into small pieces.
- Mix together calamansi juice, the little nori sheets and Japanese mayo.
- In a frying pan, cook spam, sprinkling the sugar on the spam to help it caramelize. Let cool a bit.
- Add some of the calamansi mayo on each spam slice.
- Place 1/2 cup rice on 2 of the spam slices. Top the rice with the other 2 spam slices.
- Use the nori sheets set aside to wrap the spam. It may be served immediately or room temperature.