One of the highlights of visiting White Island in Camiguin is buying (and eating) fresh sea urchin harvested right around the famous sandbar. At 50 pesos for every 3, it’s a can’t lose deal. I bought a ton! Some of which I ate, but some I incorporated into this noodle dish. In Manila, places such as Farmer’s Market sell fresh sea urchin and this is a great way to enjoy them.
Ingredients (serves 4)
360 grams canton or miki noodles
1 large red bell pepper, sliced thinly
1 small carrot, sliced thinly
4-6 green onion stalks, chopped
4 dried shitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 1/2 cup of hot water, then sliced thinly
1/4 cup mirin or rice wine
250 ml cream
6-8 sea urchins
2 tbsps cooking oil
- In a sauce pan with the oil, saute the red pepper, carrot, mushroom and half the green onions until fragrant.
- Add in the mirin and reduce for 1 minute. Add in the water from rehydrating the mushrooms and simmer the vegetables until almost dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shut off the heat and add the cream.
- Blanche the noodles in boiling water for 2 minutes and toss into the cream sauce. Add in uni and toss.
- Garnish with the remaining green onions.