Sometimes, you need something hearty and flavorful and this dish fits the bill. With the spicy sauce, this would go well with other red meat proteins like beef and lamb too, although cooking methods and time may differ depending on the meat used.
Ingredients (serves 4)
4 pork belly strips, sliced 1 inch thick
4 pcs star anise
1 tbsp dry thyme
1 stalk leek
1 tbsp five spice powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
1/4 cup onions, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup corn kernels
12 stalks mini asparagus
2 tbsps water and 2 tbsps cornstarch
salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, combine water, star anise, thyme, leek and pork. Boil for 40 minutes to tenderize the pork.
- In a sauce pan, saute onion, crushed peppercorns and garlic until fragrant. Add in chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour in cornstarch slurry while mixing to thicken the sauce.
- Strain and dry the pork. Season with salt, pepper, paprika and five spice powder. Sear the pork in a hot pan with oil for 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- In the same pan, saute the asparagus and corn for 2 minutes, keeping it crisp.
- Plate the dish with the pork and the vegetables, with the sauce at the bottom.