Toast and eggs may sound boring, but not when you’re in Southeast Asia. This regional favorite became mine too when I was travelling a lot for work and one of the few airport restaurants I frequent specialized in this. This is the basic recipe and you can add more but the basic one’s already a great breakfast.
Ingredients (serves 2)
For the eggs:
4 large eggs
2 tbsps soy sauce (more if desired)
1/4 tsp white pepper
For the toast:
4 slices sandwich bread
2 tbsps kaya or coconut jam
20 g salted butter, sliced into 4 thin rectangles
- In a heat proof bowl, place the 4 eggs in and pour boiling water over them. Make sure the water is enough to submerge the eggs. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, toast the bread until slightly brown and crisp.
- Spread a thin layer of jam over each slice of bread.
- Place two butter slices over 2 bread slices. Then cover each with the other 2 bread slices.
- Slice the toast sandwiches in half cross wise.
- Break the eggs into 2 bowls and season with soy sauce and pepper.
- Serve immediately.