This is a super easy dessert and a perfect way to use up bananas that are very ripe. By adding whipped cream to the pastry cream, you create a Creme Diplomat, which is much lighter and less sweet. That makes this a well-balanced dessert and a great way to get kids to eat fruit. Go ahead and use mangoes, saba or even melons if you don’t have bananas.
Ingredients (serves 4)
4-6 Latundan Bananas, sliced into discs
100 g unsalted butter
1/2 cup coco sugar
250 ml milk
2 egg yolks
50 g sugar
25 g all purpose flour
250 ml whipped cream
grated chocolate or lime zest for garnish
- Bring the milk to a boil.
- In a bowl, combine egg yolks, flour and sugar. Whisk well.
- Slowly pour the milk into the bowl while continuously whisking. Bring the mixture back into the pot and cook over low heat until it thickens into pastry cream. Let cool in the ref.
- In a saute pan, cook the bananas in butter for 1 minute. Add in the coco sugar and cook until caramelized.
- Mix together the whipped cream and the pastry cream.
- TO serve, place bananas in the serving vessel and top with cream. Garnish and serve.